Fiduciary, Trust Consultant, Expert Witness
Steve has over 30 years experience managing a wide variety of trust and estate assets, designing estate plans for high net worth clients, and creating custom financial solutions for unique family circumstances. In addition to routine trust and estate administration, this experience includes:
- Managed and disposed of real estate assets, including primary and secondary residential and commercial properties, and operating businesses.
- Successfully administered trusts and estates during complex litigation, among other items winning a major lawsuit dealing with trust principal and income accounting in the context of layered conduit entities (LLCs, Sub-S corporations, and partnerships).
- Applied asset allocation principles to large and multiple managed investment portfolios, including the creation and administration of 2 pooled investment funds with $36 million invested. Rebalanced $95 million in equity and fixed income investment portfolios monthly, with a resulting lowering of annual deviation from allocation targets.
- Taught internal corporate classes on trust principal/income accounting and fiduciary income tax. Supervised the acquisition of trust assets from two financial institutions.
- Designed complex estate plans for high net worth individuals, including charitable trusts, family limited partnerships, split-dollar insurance plans and plans involving closely held business entities.
Steve developed this expertise and incurred this experience while working for Gardere & Wynne, LLP, Dallas, Texas, Wells Fargo Bank, N.A, and two independent trust companies. He holds a B.A. from Dallas Baptist University, completed the Texas Bankers Association School of Trust Banking at Southern Methodist University, and has specialized training in the areas of federal estate and gift tax and fiduciary income tax. Steve is currently the Vice-President of the Coeur d’Alene Estate Planning Council (past President), serves on the Planned Giving Committee of North Idaho College Foundation, and has served on a number of other non-profit boards and committees.